Wednesday, November 7, 2012

commission progress - clay component

Shaping up nicely!  The clay component is labour intensive - there are so steps involved in the process, the making, the drying time, sanding each piece, bisque firing, several steps to glazing, the glaze firing etc... and then making sure you get the shrinkage rate right!!!  Thankfully after the final firing, the reward comes when opening the kiln door and seeing all is well.

In between blog posts and living with the steel structure for a bit, I've decided on some minor adjustments to the clay design - instead of making each alternate block smaller I've decided to make them all uniform and with less texture on the surface giving each block a flatter finish which sits better in the steel frame.  And slightly reducing the firing (reducing oxygen in the kiln whilst firing) to yield a richer patina in the glaze, aesthetically pleasing with the rusting steel.

A sneak peak - the clay behind the negative space looks good.


Clay process took two months in the making - various depths of clay blocks were made (estimated according to the clay's shrinkage rate). Here the kiln is all loaded and ready for bisque firing.


After the bisque, the clay blocks ready for glazing.


Glazed blocks drying and ready for loading into the kiln for the glaze firing. I've made more blocks than needed - experience has taught always have extra on hand just in case!


The anticipation of cracking open the kiln the next day..........!!!!


Assembling - a day or two of fine tuning. Detail blocks stacked within the steel frame and the clay's surface.



9 comments:

  1. K - I'm glad I work with metal and wood it requires a tad less patience and planning - ceramics just has so many steps - but good to see the project is going well. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B - I think that's why I'm favouring the assemblage works. Although, I do like the combination of both!

      Delete
  2. I was wondering how the commission was progressing. It is a long process! Looking at the first image and loving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a long process Robyn. I had a few delays in areas, and the gas line connections thrown in for good measure too... just to keep me on my toes!

      Delete
  3. That's the way with clay isn't it. No wonder I gave it up. You have a wonderful concept coming to fruition there Kim. Well done you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep! sure is Jo, and that thought has crossed my mind on several occassions. I'm looking forward to seeing the piece installed. Thanks Jo.

      Delete
  4. Love the colour and texture in the clay pieces and am waiting to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the warmth of the glaze on the ceramics; but like others doubt I could handle the time it takes and the trickiness of it all...nonetheless I am glad that folk like you can!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment I really appreciate them!