In between blog posts and living with the steel structure for a bit, I've decided on some minor adjustments to the clay design - instead of making each alternate block smaller I've decided to make them all uniform and with less texture on the surface giving each block a flatter finish which sits better in the steel frame. And slightly reducing the firing (reducing oxygen in the kiln whilst firing) to yield a richer patina in the glaze, aesthetically pleasing with the rusting steel.
A sneak peak - the clay behind the negative space looks good.
Clay process took two months in the making - various depths of clay blocks were made (estimated according to the clay's shrinkage rate). Here the kiln is all loaded and ready for bisque firing.
After the bisque, the clay blocks ready for glazing.
Glazed blocks drying and ready for loading into the kiln for the glaze firing. I've made more blocks than needed - experience has taught always have extra on hand just in case!
The anticipation of cracking open the kiln the next day..........!!!!
Assembling - a day or two of fine tuning. Detail blocks stacked within the steel frame and the clay's surface.