Tuesday, October 2, 2012

back into sculpting!

I've been working with a plethora of material this year, however, as much as its been fun, I feel it's time to settle back into my chosen materials of steel, clay and found objects for a bit!

To get back into the saddle, I've silently been working away on a commission. Taking on commissions are a great way to push the boundaries and of course they help pay the bills!

My scratchings on paper helped when discussing my ideas with my clients. A few minor changes were made but by and large, we were all happy with the concept design.


Below, some works that inspired my clients - the stacked block concept, spirals and rough textured clay.  These earlier works grace our gardens and are also incorporated into our landscape designs for Enviro Scapes (landscape garden business).


You'll notice the steel component incorporated into my design above - which is really where my focus now lies in the combination of steel, clay and found materials, much like my recent totemic forms below...however this particular commission is a little more conservative.


I'll marry these ideas together to form the basis of the sculpture (the design above) with an addition of most recent discovery and technique Waterjet cutting. Below; spirals and 'No.11' cut in mild steel by Steve at Caloundra Waterjet Cutting


Experimenting with placement...


10 comments:

  1. Love totem poles and it will be interesting to see the final outcome Kim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really drawn to totemic forms, I'm also looking forward to the final outcome.

      Delete
  2. K-great project to get you back in the zone. Looking forward to the completed works. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B - easing into it nicely and a great project to do it with too. K

      Delete
  3. You are unstoppable Kim. This project is shaping up superbly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta earn my keep Jo! I am delighted on how it is coming along, hopefully it'll comtinue to do so. Always looks great on paper!!

      Delete
  4. Exciting work Kim! I love your earlier rusty garden totems. Looking forward to following the progression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robyn, I have been quiet excited with this commission, especially being able to incorporate the use of spirals.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a great project to be involved with K - and good to see you back working big and bold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fiona, its great to be back working big and bold again!! I must say...

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment I really appreciate them!