Saturday, October 18, 2014

Commission keeping me busy

When I go all quiet, it generally means I am working on something....

Within a couple of months of retiring from the annual Abbey Medieval Festival (to consolidate my art practice), a commission comes in for ancient Roman artefacts. Ironic!  I know it's not the same time period, but I still find it funny, how when you finally decide to move on....

However, not one to let an opportunity pass me by and with no major commitments at hand and my exhibition just about to finish, what the heck!  Several large and small amphorae (tallest 700mm) and a couple of oil lamp holders.


A little creative thinking for drying the pointed amphorae base, submerged into buckets and supported by coarse sand - challenging, to say the least!


So the drying process begins - given the size of each, especially the larger amphorae, drying them slowly and over a month or so, is the go...

7 comments:

  1. wow, what an exhibition for your graduation! very impressive.. I can see the challenge of drying those pointy bases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Anna - I think I even surprised myself! Fingers crossed with drying the pointy bases....

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work, Kim; seems like a perfect commission for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharmon, and I would have to agree, a perfect commission - given my past history in recreating ancient artefacts!

      Delete
  4. Wow, HUGE pots to throw and manhandle through all of the processes - Wonder woman you !!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment I really appreciate them!